1. I was too lazy to buy a phone
2. the same headset was used to listen to music as well.
Lately my family has started using Voip and I felt they were not too comfortable having to speak into a mic while wearing a heavy headset. I found this little product during my search for a cheap, no frills device and decided to buy it. This device is very simple and inexpensive and being a typical “Made in China” product it doesnt even have a brand name ! [link]
How it works;
1. Setup is pretty simple, you just plug it into the USB port and wait for the OS to detect it and install necessary drivers. It works fine on both Vista and XP.
2. Go to the Audio settings option in your messenger client (like Yahoo or Skype)
3. Select “USB Audio Device” for microphone and speakers and apply changes.
After a month of use I’ve found that voice quality is really good and comparable to a regular telephone. The only problem now is that I’ve lost the driver CD that came along with and cannot use the hot keys if I’m using it on a new computer. Since it doesn’t have a brand name I’m not able to search for drivers.
Another thing is that you need a computer to make calls. Since my whole apartment is covered by Wifi I’m thinking of buying a Wifi Voip phone in the near future. You can click the links below to see similar devices.